Friday, January 8, 2010

#1. Provide documentation of weight loss attempts/failures

After the initial consultation I had been left with a list of things to do and number one was a big one. (no pun intended!)

1. Provide documentation of weight loss attempts/failures. Wow...yes...they actually said they needed documentation of my weight loss failures! That was a tough pill to swallow. The insurance company requires this, and my word isn't enough. I had to provide something in writing showing that I had tried other methods of losing weight, and how I did on the other plans.

OK, no problem I thought...it had only been about a year or so since I last attended Weight Watchers meetings, so I'd give them the passport. (For anyone who isn't familiar with Weight Watchers, they give you a "passport" that you bring in every week to have it stamped and your weight recorded. The insurance company said this would be sufficient proof) Oh wait...I got upset when I started putting weight back on and I threw it away. Well, I still figured it would be fine, I would just call Weight Watchers and have them send me copies of my records. When they stamp your passport they also write it on the bigger card, so I figured it shouldn't be a problem. Well....think again. Because they are not a medical facility they do not have any legal obligation to keep the records, so...if you don't attend for more than 6 months they destroy the records. I personally still find it hard to believe that they don't have any record of my attendance or weight loss, but it quickly became evident that they were not going to help me. Luckily for me I had signed up for Weight Watchers Online and never canceled the membership. So I was able to print a chart showing my weights and use that. (hmmm....speaking of which, I better cancel that now before I get charged for another month!)

I also requested records from the local Curves that I was a member of before, but they never followed through. Last but not least, I got records from the personal trainer I had been working with at a local gym and added those to my file as well.

It seems like a simple task, but it took me about a month to gather all of the required documentation. My insurance company felt that there was sufficient data, but every insurance company is different and I've heard that some require 6 months working with your doctor for weight loss before they will approve the surgery.

Next up would be the psychological exam....

Until next time...Hugs, Prayers & Moving On From My Previous Attempts/Failures!

No comments:

Post a Comment